Updated: Apr 29
This is a simple and very effective recipe for some delicious homemade cough/sore throat syrup.
My husband and I use it each time we get a cough, sore throat or cold. It works better than over the counter stuff at the pharmacy! This keeps for 3 months!
Another little ‘add in’ you can use is freshly grated ginger:
Fresh ginger is a natural decongestant, anti-inflammatory, anti-viral and anti-histamine and can also help with nausea and upset stomach
Simply put 2T of Ginger in a jar and cover with the 3/4C of honey. Let it sit at room temperature and infuse for at least 8 hours
After 8+ hours, add in the Olive Oil and Lemon Juice and mix
Strain the syrup and put in a clean jar and store in the fridge for 4-6 weeks. Before use, just pop it in the microwave and gently warm it and stir. Take 2T as needed
I use small canning jars for my syrup. This also makes a great little gift for people this time of year–besides just telling them to get their germs to themselves. haha!
Safe healthy everyone!! 🙂
- 3/4C Raw honey
- 1/4C Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2-4T lemon juice
- Mix all ingredients in a bowl or canning jar.
- Microwave w for 45 seconds
- Stir well and store in an airtight & heat safe container
- When ready to use, heat for 15-20 seconds to warm and stir before use.
- Take 2T as needed. Do not drink anything for 5-10 min after so that the cough syrup may coat the throat and soothe it.
- Keeps for 3 months in the cabinet.
- Safe for children 1yr and older.