The day before I plan to make these, I measure all the dry ingredients out and put them in the big mixing bowl. Then I will pre measure out the Crisco and butter and put them in a bowl or foil together then the day of all I have to do is mix it together, add the buttermilk and then cut.
Saves a lot of time having things pre measured.
- 2C flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- ¾ teaspoon sea salt
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 2 Tablespoons Crisco
- 1C cold buttermilk
- 1C mild cheddar cheese shredded
- 2 Tablespoon fresh chives, minced.
1) Preheat oven at 450*
3) Add in butter and Crisco. Using your hands, rub butter and Crisco in your hands to mix with the flour mixture until dough is crumbly.. Make a well in the middle of the dough and pour in cheese, buttermilk and chives and mix with your hands until incorporated. Do no use a hand mixer as it will over work the dough.
4) Flour a clean work surface and place the dough on it and sprinkle extra flour on top to make it easier to work with. Pat to gently roll out then fold dough in half 6 times, this step is what makes the biscuits flaky. Roll out to 1” thick and cut out using a 2-3” round biscuit cutter or round cookie cutter.
6) Reform scraps and fold over 4 times then cut remaining biscuits. Discard any scraps at that point. You only want to take 2 cuttings.